Dental implants are comprised of three parts:
- The titanium implant that will act as the tooth root for the future crown.
- The abutment which will be placed on the implant to hold the new crown in place, most often with a screw.
- The crown which will be the portion above the gums and will be customized to look like a natural tooth.
Dr. Dhesi has treated many patients with dental implants and they report many benefits from replacing missing teeth including:
- Improved ability to chew foods
- Improved appearance
- Improved speech
- Prevents bone loss in an area where a tooth is missing.
It is important to note that dental implants require sufficient bone for placement. There are situations where the ridge width and height need to be improved upon with bone grafts. Dr. Dhesi will determine if this is required with the use of imaging and analysis of the space.
Steps Involved in Placing an Implant
At the consultation it will be determined if you require a bone graft. Depending on the type of graft used and the location of the graft, implants can be placed around 3 to 6 months after the grafting procedure. At your implant surgery appointment, the titanium implant will be placed, most often with the aid of a surgical guide. After the implant has been placed, a healing cap will screwed on top of the implant to allow soft tissue to heal around the cap. After the implant fuses, you will be sent back to your dentist for the fabrication of your crown.
Dr. Dhesi will work closely with you and your referring dentist to ensure you have a predictable and functional outcome. We encourage you to call our office in Calgary, AB to schedule a consultation. He will meet with you to discuss your case and customize a treatment plan that is right for you. Dr. Dhesi looks forward to caring for you and your family.